“Musicians using Content marketing are almost doing the same as anyone else using content marketing, but it does look a bit different when you get to the content.”
Content marketing is originated to writing about content that is interesting for the reader and is giving a thorough presentation of the material. This is naturally the case for musicians as well, but it will be felt differently for the readers.
Content marketing for musicians is about:
- presenting the band or the artist,
- presenting the music and
- all the issues that is important for the musicians in the band (or the musician if there is no band).
The content should be presented in a way that
allows people to know more about the official you.
This has to be the official you, you don’t want to be too private. You will feel lost if you give all of yourself. Let that be something that gradually grows into a natural balance. Musicians using content marketing are more successful when they keep a distance to their audience while, at the same time, give their audience a way of getting to know them. Let’s have a look.
Content Marketing for Musicians – how to start
It’s a smart move to start with all the information you tell people that is the official you.
- Talk about who you are and how your music is important to you:
- Then you talk about why you started making music
- Why you play and how this started is information that interest your audience
- If you are composing/writing your music, your audience are interested in what you wish to convey.
- what kind of music are you playing and also mentioning what kind of music you are listening to, will help people get a relation to you. That is exactly what you want.
- why you decided to take your music to the next level. There are so many musicians who don’t want that, but since you want to tell people something, you are about to take your music to the next level. Tell the people that.
- what is the plan for the future. When you started you did have a plan of getting somewhere. With a stroke of luck, your audience make it happen, one way or another.
How to continue
When you feel you have all the information that people need about you, it’s time to start talking about all the people that are going to help you on your journey to the next step.
I’m sure you can make a list of all the people, and if you are alone, you should do the presentation, but if you are a band, you should switch on who does the interviews.
Don’t reveal everything at once. Content marketing for musicians is also about keeping the information coming. You can interview people relating to your music, your band or the ones arranging your concerts. You can make post on funny things that happens during your sessions, the concerts or the travelling between concerts or anything else that gives your audience an idea of what you are doing, not to mention, showing them you are alive.
There are interesting and boring ways to present the information…
The way you present the information, has a lot to say for how long people are going to be on your site. On the the other hand, this information is going to be there for a long, long time, so you should not take the short version just to be cool, hip or whatever you try to be.
Here’s a suggestion:
- make a short version as the start of the post. Make sure you have the necessary information in there.
- If you are doing an interview continue with the deeper stuff. In this way you have an interview in full, for those who need more information (like the press, concert arrangers, other people who wants to know more) and you have a short version for those who just need a short presentation.
- If you are telling a story, make sure you keep the point to the end and try to make it an exciting story, not just and then we, and then we and then we.
Musicians using content marketing prepares the complete story ready for the future (as it seems to be, at the moment). Make your stories in a way you can continue them, if possible. There is always need for more information, but the long stories seem to be out of style at the moment. This doesn’t mean that you should only write short stories. Variation is a great way to go.
The short stories or interviews don’t give enough information, so by working this way you manage to fulfill both needs, without the one being prioritized before the other.
When you have presented everyone who deserves a presentation, it’s time you start saying something about your music. This can be done a million ways. The point is that the more you say about your music, the more people, the fans, will talk about it. Different people are interested in different things, so use different ways of presenting your material.
You might even get a discussion on the songs, the lyrics, the arrangements. You can get a feeling of which one’s are the hit songs, according to whom and you can get a lot more information you can use in your communication with you fans. People are probably interested in you for your music, so you are the authority, but your audience may want to tell you why they like it, and even better; you can get them to help you expand your fan base.
You can make a page for all the instruments you use. If you tell something about the instruments and make the pictures stay on the website, people will recognize them on stage or in your videos. This is also something that gives people some insight in what you do and your music.
THE LITTLE STUFF
Never underestimate the sharing of such value, people like to know the little things about you and your music, sometimes you wonder if the things you share are too personal, then I suggest you don’t share it. Keeping your private life, private, is a great way to live a great life and avoid all the gossip that you don’t want. All publicity is good for business, but not necessarily for you, in the long run.
I hope you found this article interesting, and that it will help you in the promotion of your music. You’re welcome to leave a comment on anything you found here and how you see you can use it. Leaving a comment on a website is of more value than most marketing musicians understand. That it’s valuable to other readers, is one thing, but you will also see other benefits from this activity. If you miss anything, please let us know. Marketing Musicians, (this website) want to reveal all you need and also give you ideas on where you can get what you need, safely, tested and approved. Thanks for your comments, and thank you for sharing 🙂by