Marketing Musicians: Here are some suggestions on how to best promote your music online.
Promoting your music is just as important as recording it. Let’s reveal some good ideas of how to promote your music on social media. The planning and actions you need to take, to make sure that your music will be found.
MAKE THE PLAN
To make sure that your music will be found, you need a plan. You have your audience and you know where you find them. If not, Find them, they are waiting for your music. Having a good plan is usually a great start for how to best promote your music online. You can read more about a complete marketing plan here.
A long time before you recorded the music, you probably started talking about it on social media. This is a smart move for promoting your music, and you get some attention that way.
When you recorded, you probably dropped a picture every now and then, from the recording. That is also a great way of helping you get started. The more interest and curiosity you get around your music is helping you out. To get a more complete picture on the best way to promote your music online, you should answer these questions:
what to think of
- how do your audience use social media?
- how will you make sure you get a lot of views, likes and shares on your video?
- how will you best reach your local audience, where would you find them in a mood for buying?
- did you prepare your website for this?
Since people have a tendency of leaving social media very quick, (to do something else, or nothing), you need to plan on when and how to reach as many as possible, as soon as possible. Learn more on how to promote your music on social media by checking out this article.
Since you have contact with the social media part of your audience, it’s natural to check when (what time and what days) are they active. You can find that out, by scrolling back on older messages. This is very helpful, because if you catch them when they’re active, you have a bigger chance of getting a share or a like. If you’re good at this, you get both. Nothing is better. This little action could be one of the main keys on how to best promote your music online. It doesn’t need to be time consuming, it could even be fun and it can mean a lot for the attention you want. It seems small but can be one of the most important issues when it comes to promoting your music.
WHEN DO I START PROMOTING?
- Success loves speed. This means that you should start the moment you have the idea, and then keep on promoting until you’ve succeeded. That’s easy to say, maybe not so easy to do. The first, second and maybe the third time, you will have some struggles, but then it gets easier. When you know your plan and you use it, adjust it and stick to it.
- Decide where it’s natural to promote your music. Don’t just start somewhere, but have a written plan (paper or computer, doesn’t matter). Whatever you promote you should know something about the people interested in what you promote. Promoting your music is no exception. It’s natural to start with the people closest to you, let them know and allow them to help you spread the word.
- Make a list of all the places you know you will get attention. This is an obvious place to start your marketing, but also a great reminder of what works. Your list should consist of two rows, one for online and one for offline. Where do people know you is an interesting question. Let them know what you do, as well and your fan base start to increase.
- Make a list of all the places you want to get attention. This is for your future promotion. Work on this list until you can move these places into your list of the places you know works. If you want to keep your music local, look around in your community to see other ways of using your music. Every store, shopping mall, every company, every festival or local celebrations could be great places for promoting your music. The more people see you, the more they want to follow you and what you are doing. If you are considering expanding your area, do some research where your natural audience tend to appear, (sometimes other than the obvious).
- Have your video ready. Promoting your music by using video, makes more people find your music. If you haven’t made your music video yet, make a promotional video. A small video with some extracts, some interview with yourself or your band and a link to where they can get the music. People are watching more and more videos, they also share more videos than other content, so make sure you learn how you should be promoting your music with video.
TAKE THE ACTION
Presentation On Your Website
On your website, you have launched the date of release a long time ago. You have made your first page like a huge commercial, so everyone who visits (looking for when you have the next concert, what you released the last time, what you are working on and other matters related to your musicianship), know when it is released, sitting there, ready to use their credit card to buy the music. The day you launch it is also the day you change that start page into a small shop. (if you don’t know how to do that, here is another post giving you some ideas).
Launch the video the same day as you launch your music. Make sure that you share it on all your social platforms and that you work on the ranking on the video itself. Ideally speaking, the video should live a life on its own, getting attention to your website, where you have all the necessary information and links to buy. Learning how to use video ranking together with your website is the best way to promote your music online. You will probably find this article useful.
Small Talk On Social Media
After the release of the video, it’s important that you have time to answer every little comment coming in. You like it and you comment on it. It doesn’t have to be much, just a thank you and an answer to their comments will do. This very often leads to more shares, and you love shares because that makes more views. You should have at least a hundred views within the first 24 hours, then the search engines understand it’s important. The more you get, the better.
Where Can People Find Your Music?
In the video, make sure that you have a clear way of showing your audience where to go to buy it. A clickable link is the best. Somewhere in the movie you should direct them to your website. The website is the place where most of your direct sales comes from. If you uploaded your music somewhere, you should still have links to it on your website.
People who don’t know you, are more likely to buy from you after they have read a bit about you, know your points in life and have heard some more of your music. There is no doubt that it’s very important to use videos in your marketing. Letting videos become a natural part of what you do is a great start in learning and seeing the effect of how to best promote your music online. You should have your video there, but also a couple of promotional videos, telling, in short, what you do, what you want with your music and how they can buy it.
What kind of links you have, doesn’t matter. There is a point in trying to make it look ok, at least. There are ways of shortening long links, to make them look better or you can do the more search engine friendly trick of using the text you already have and link to it from the text. Inside the platform which I use for my websites, you will get thorough training on that. You will also get access to everything you need to monetize your website. It’s completely free (unless you want to have access to all the good stuff for a longer period than seven days, you can read more about that in the link above).
Selling your music, telling who you are, does, of course, give you a lot more jobs (when used right), but you can also have other products on you site, so those who don’t buy your music can buy something else you promote there. When you get the good habits and understand how to best promote your music online, you start getting more done in less time. The more consistent and regular you do these actions, the less you think about it and keep doing it instead. The other interesting part is that the more you are promoting your music, the more you get sales on the other articles, products or systems you promote. Build trust with your audience and you are rewarded.
How That Relates To How You Promote Your Music?
Follow me here:
If they find something else they are interested in on your site, they might give your site address to someone else. This someone else, may be interested in the other stuff, but also; this someone might want to buy your music, as well. How cool is that? Get it?
I’m sure you do. Let’s have a short summarize of the next steps:
HOW TO BEST PROMOTE YOUR MUSIC ONLINE
- Start early. When people know what you are doing in the process, they feel like being a part of it. The more you involve them, the more they will interact with you and the more of your music you get sold.
- Always improve your skills on how to promote your music on social media. Start with the ones you are familiar with and make a plan on when you are going to learn something new.
- Make your plan and follow it. It gets easier as you go along, and by having that plan, you have a direction so on days where you don’t know exactly what to say, you still have a better start than nothing. It helps.
- Don’t let the bad days get to you, see them as a challenge and make sure you get something out there. It doesn’t have to be your best everyday, but something is always better than nothing (with a few possible exceptions).
- Take your time seriously. If you can get others to help you, because they are better than you at something, use their skills and reward them for helping you out. Do what you are good at, but don’t spend all your time promoting.
- Practice to become a better musician, have the fun and inspire yourself. This will also make you want to talk more about what you do. Which is a great start for getting better at how you promote your music on social media.
I hope you found this article interesting, and that it will help you understand how to best promote your music online. You’re welcome to leave a comment on anything you found here and how you see you can use it. Leaving a comment on a website is of more value than most marketing musicians understand. That it’s valuable to other readers, is one thing, but you will also see other benefits from this activity. If you miss anything, please let us know. Marketing Musicians, (this website) want to reveal all you need and also give you ideas on where you can get what you need, safely, tested and approved. Thanks for your comments, and thank you for sharing 🙂by